Charlie Chocolate Paws

Question about an 8 month old kitten and biting

Asked by Charlie Chocolate Paws on Nov 3rd 2009 Tagged biting in Behavior & Training

Answers

A lot of the things you say point to Charlie's being a kitten and possibly not taught proper kitty manners by his mamacat and sibs when he was in the litter. He may be biting and clawing because cats don't really "pet" each other. When a cat comes up to another cat and "pets" or paws at them, it usually means playtime and that's with claws and teeth. Charlie seems to see you as another littermate and it may be that you need to establish yourself as pawrent. Our friend Gracie's mom hisses like a mamacat would whenever Gracie or her brother Boris misbehave. Gracie's mom says she's gotten quite good at it and her two furkids know they've overstepped their boundaries when Mama hisses at them. As for the "oral fixation", I've heard that buying one of those rubber balls with the holes you can stuff with cat treats works to occupy the kitten and gives them something to chew. Izzie has suddenly stated chewing, so I'm on my way to get one, too. Give Chas some time to recover from the stress.

♥ TT ♥

Hi Charlie! TT is a biter. I can remember when he was still considered a foster kitten and I would go into the kitten room to socialize with them- he would bite my feet, hands- anything. I would have to leave the kitten room to get away from him. I can remember wondering "what is wrong with him!" Now that he is grown, I can pet him for a short period of time- and then he flops over and tries to bite me. He is 2 now, and I am still hopeful that he will calm down- it is always "playful" biting- it's not the kind that when you pet a cat too much and they lash out. I am not sure what could have caused it, because he had plenty of kittens to learn from- and I never encouraged it. I don't know how to help you with Charlie, but I feel your pain ;)

♥ TT ♥ answered on 11/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Gracie

Like Izzie said, bites are not tolerated in our house. Mom will just walk away from the offender. If that doesn't work, or doesn't drive the point home, she hisses at us. Hissing means "You quit it right now mister, or else", the way only a mom would say.

In the rare instance that hissing was not enough, it has been followed up with a timeout. You basically scruff kitty (make sure to support under his body once you've immobilized by scruffing), and relocate him to the bathroom, or another room that is just sooo boring. You then walk away from the door for about 5 minutes. After that, release kitty and wait for him to approach you.

Some cats are just mouthier than others. With Boris he will still nip when angry or overexcited on occasion, whereas I never use my mouth when mad (I do have a higher threshold as to how much petting I tolerate, though). Mom just had to accept that she always needs to leave Boris wanting more, rather than risking triggering his "no more, thanks".

Gracie answered on 11/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dharma

Kittens will be kittens. When my two were little I wore pants and long sleeved shirts. They had play toys and nap time. They would only play bite when they were overly excited. When mine were teething they would chew on anything. If the kitten was taken too early from the Mother it could account for the sucking. When I adopted my second kitten the biting and scratching stopped. They wear each other out playing which is a form of learning for them. Hang in there.

Dharma answered on 11/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer