Sophie

Pretty severe matting, how can I get them out??

Okay, so I have a long haired kitty, and I used to brush her every day, we both liked to. Then, I got a standard poodle, and he's going through his coat change, so whenever I do have free time to brush, it's spent on his big ol' self. I thought my mom was brushing the kitty, since she spends most of her time with my mom, but evidently shedding season took over. Her entire butt/legs area is really really matted, bad. Usually it's a few individual mats of loose fur which we can get out, but it's like... a web of mats all over her back end right now. I feel TERRIBLE, I can't believe she's this matted!! I am going in a little bit at a time to pull out some of the loose hair with my fingers or quickly comb a bit. It's mostly loose hair, so it will come out if you pull on it, but it's so tangled that it hurts little kitty.

Any solutions to help loosen up these awful mats? Shampoo? I REALLY don't want to shave her, I don't trust myself to not cut her. No cat groomers in my area.

Asked by Sophie on Apr 8th 2010 Tagged mats, matting, long, haired, cat, severe, tangled in Home Grooming

Answers

Elise

I'm having the same problem with some of my Maine Coons. Even though all my MCs are related in some way (don't worry, no interbreeding), some have silky fur that never mats, and some get enormous, hard mats on their stomachs and backsides. A groomer would just shave the matted area, but I show my cats and don't want them to have bald bellies. There's something called a "mat breaker" that the advertisers say works well. Scissors are dangerous--I managed to cut Elise in 3 separate places when I tried to cut out her mats, and she needed stitches. If you do cut, use sharp, blunt-ended scissors, and only cut off the top of the mat. Be very careful not to cut the skin--when you pull up the mat to cut it, the skin comes with it. Then you can use your fingers to untangle the mat, and a metal comb to comb out the loose hair. It's truly a "hair-raising" experience for both cat and human. You can also buy pet shavers to clip the hair on the backside--known as a sanitary cut.

Elise answered on 4/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bella  My Beautiful Angel

Do you have a vet? You can have your vet or one of the techs do a quick shave if needed.

I work on my cats coat every day or so, and it's important with a long haired cat. This is shedding season.

What might help is getting a 'slicker' brush and brushing out with that and fingers.

take it easy on both of you, otherwise, and have the vet take care of it.

Bella My Beautiful Angel answered on 4/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If the mats are compacted into hard little knots attached to her skin, you may just have to shave her. I had Delilah shaved last summer because I was afraid she'd get a skin condition from all the mats she had. She has very silky underfur and it's notorious for it's matting. However, since I' had her shaved and the fur grew back, I have no problem with mats. I got every mat rake and comb and brush out there and nothing worked. As I DID cut her once, I, also, was terrified to go near her with scissors. Sometimes if you call a dog groomer, you'll find out they will also take on a cat if the cat isn't a terrorist. But if you can't find one, the vet is your best bet.