Potential Caesar salad poisoning?

I eat almost all of my meals out, because it's cheaper and more convenient for someone alone in a big city. Thus, my cats are rarely exposed to human food, and get extremely excited when they are. Last night, I came home with some leftovers in well-sealed plastic containers, and rather than putting them in the refrigerator immediately, left them out...until I woke up around three hours later. Somehow, the cats (these are the cats who moved my zillion kilo Dyson vacuum cleaner to another room--nothing is beyond them) had gotten into the food bag (a 7/11 kind of thing) and managed to lick the Caesar dressing from the salad, which had red onions in it. Uh oh, onions and garlic... The amount ingested seems to be minimal, but...I worry. (And yes, this means YOU, Harvard and Lowell. We know that you have not only destroyed three laptops in three months, but also moved the Dyson lemon. Opening a plastic container and licking the dressing is obviously not beyond your talents.)

Asked by Chibi on May 10th 2010 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

It certainly sounds like these kitties are two little pistols! Anyway, onions and garlic can cause seizures in cats. Please be sure to clean up any food when you have finished eating. Discard or put away the leftovers so that they can't get into it. Put your leftovers in the refrigerator. I never heard of any cats who could open a refrigerator and "help themselves"! Maybe yours will be the first!!

Baltster 1990 ~ 2011

Boy are they trouble with a capital T.
I leave all sorts out and the cats don't touch them. I know what happened to one of your furbabies : (. I was shocked, as I didn't think cats touched whats not good for them. Well that's how the saying goes here. Your guys are real little mischief makers. I hope they are ok. I learnt a lesson, from what happened to you and I'm now more careful.
Balty in his prime used to be able to open things, but he hasn't done that in ages.
So I can amagine your cats doing that.

Baltster 1990 ~ 2011 answered on 5/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer