Takoda

Possible Heart Murmur or just due to Stress of Vet Visit?

I have just returned from taking my almost 3-year-old Cornish rex to the vet for an annual exam. This year she said that she thought she heard a murmur but because Takoda gets so stressed at the visit she was not sure as he didn’t settle to be able to get a proper listen.

At his exam last year she also said she thought she detected a heart murmur but that it may be due to the stress of a new home and the visit.

I called the breeder last year after the exam and she said that (the cat who had been to her vet for neuter and vaccinations) her vet didn’t report any heart murmur.

This is something that is being monitored.

Has anyone been told that his or her cat had a possible heart murmur but it could be just the stress of the examination?

Asked by Takoda on Jan 31st 2012 Tagged murmur in Illness & Disease

Answers

No but mine do not seem stressed by the vet. Our biggest issue was always to get them to stop purring so she could listen. Both Persians and Ragdolls can be prone to HCM so it is important for the vet to get a good listen to their heart for all my cats. If the same vet has twice "thought" that she might be hearing a murmur, it may be a good idea to get a second opinion just to be sure and to set your mind at ease. My understanding is that a murmur is a rather distinct sound and has a severity grade that would determine what treatment if any might be needed and I am not sure stress would mimic that. You do not have to switch vets to get a second opinion and your vet should understand your concern and be fine with you doing that. I would suggest a vet that specializes in cats if you do decide to do that.

Yes, absolutely! My cat had a heart murmur of 1 (on a scale of 1-5). Two different vets checked her at the same visit. One said she heard the murmur, the other vet didn't. They both stated it could be due to stress. Years later a new vet told me the same thing. My cat lived to be 11-1/2 years old. She died of kidney failure, not from any heart conditions. I wouldn't worry about it. It is good that you are having your cat monitored. Best of luck.