poop on the floor for the first time?

One of my cats (ages 1.5 and 3, both females) pooped outside the litter box in the middle of the kitchen floor this morning. This behavior is unprecedented as they have always used the litter box until this morning.
I'm not sure whose poop it was because both of them looked at me innocently when I asked them. :)
Should I be concerned? Was it a fluke? They are both acting fine otherwise - eating, playing like their normal selves.
Thanks for the input!!

Asked by Member 1085347 on Jan 17th 2012 Tagged poop in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Scooby

Was it just one or two logs of poop? Without being too crude, sometimes us cats of the long-haired persuasion get firm hunks of poo caught in our fur and even though we tried to go in the litter box some of our poo joins us for a ride only to fall off somewhere else. This can also happen to shorthaired cats if they've eaten a human hair or bit of string and part of the hair or string is stuck in the poo and part of it is still in our body. So embarrassing!

If it was a soft pile of poo they may have had an actual "accident" and not been able to get to the box on time. Hopefully it wasn't an intentional power play or a poor communication that something is wrong with them. If it becomes a habit or you find major diarrhea it's time to go to the vet, otherwise focus on keeping the litterboxes very clean and keeping any fluff around their hind ends trimmed short.

Scooby answered on 1/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer