Please read detail box.

I recently got a new kitten(dutchess) and she has taken a liking to my older cat(chloe). Dutchess will walk up to Chloe and lay down and Chloe will start to lick her however, when Dutchess gets up to walk away Chloe will hold her down and start to growl. Why is this ans what can I do to make this stop?

Asked by Member 1076605 on Dec 9th 2011 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

I truly wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like Chloe has an overblown maternal instinct. If your cats aren't spayed, I would get this done as soon as possible. You don't need the cats' hormones adding to the mix. There is a behavior between cats that's kind of hard for us humans to understand, but the cats understand it. As long as Chloe is not outright attacking Dutchess, I wouldn't try to "make it stop". I would just let them behave however they will. If it doesn't bother Dutchess, I wouldn't let it bother me. It would be much worse if Chloe hadn't accepted Dutchess and she attacked her whenever she saw her.