Panting cat = asthma?

My most active kitten has started open-mouth panting (tongue hanging out, too) during sessions of running and chasing his siblings. He is probably the most active of them all, but I've noticed that he'll pant not only when he pauses to rest, but also while he's still running. It seems to me that if he were in distress, he'd stop running and rest, right?

Could this be asthma? The other 2 kittens don't pant, even though they might be doing the same amount of running...from the panting kitten!

Asked by Member 1140346 on Dec 28th 2012 Tagged asthma, panting, kitten in Health & Wellness

Answers

Cecilia

It could very well be asthma. I do not have much knowledge on that subject, but it couldn't hurt having him checked out by your vet, or ask about it at his next exam.If he starts exhibiting other symptoms or weezing definitely take him.

Cecilia answered on 12/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Calísta

My girl has asthma. She doesn't like to "let on" usually though, meaning she wouldn't stop an ordinary activity for it. She will pant, but her tongue never hangs out...but that could just be a difference in kitties. Hers tends to be environmental more than activity induced. It would be good to get a diagnosis though because there are thing to do (like meds) and things to expect if it is asthma.

Calísta answered on 1/14/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer