Our cat's former Foster Mom wants to visit?

We adopted our 5-year old cat 9 months ago. He had been living in a foster home/shelter off and on for 3 years. We love him dearly and are so glad he is a part of our family. His Former foster mom continues to call and email us asking to visit him, and she continues to call him by his former name. She is a nice person but we are uncomfortable with this request. Any advice on how to approach this?

Asked by Member 1132730 on Sep 26th 2012 Tagged foster, adoption, fosteretiquette in Fostering a Pet

Answers

Offer to email pictures to her. Maybe that will calm her down.

I dealt with the same issues when I adopted my dog. Before I adopted her, she'd been hit by a car and this lady rescued her. She was obsessive. If you adopted your cat from a shelter or rescue, contact them and tell them what this lady is doing. Her actions reflect back on the organization, and they will speak with her. Unfortunately, once you open the door, even with emails, she'll push the door all the way open and invite herself into your lives. She's probably done it before with others. If it was a private adoption, you must be frank with her. Tell her you will send her ONE photo of him in your home. Tell her how ecstatic he (and you) are that he's now part of YOUR family. Mention him by his new name as often as you can. Purchase a nice frame for it. Mail it to her. Then, ignore all other requests from her. Block her email and calls. I know it's very difficult to separate from a foster animal, but good fosters are able to do it and go on to helping the next animal in need.