Frodo

Our 1.5 year old cat died suddenly

We were traveling to my parents house for the holidays. Bilbo was usually an okay traveller. Sometimes he would throw up once during the trip but not always. Usually he would settle down and sleep.

I heard him throwing up and turned around to see. He had only thrown up a little clear mucus but then got stiff and fell over. In the like 30 seconds it took for me to open the crate door, he was gone. He was limp, his eyes were dilated, and his tongue was sticking out and purple. He had shown no other signs of being sick. It was totally out of the blue.

My thoughts are something like a seizure, blood clot, or something like that. He wasn't choking on vomit because there was nothing in his mouth.

I'm curious to know because I don't want the same thing to happen to his brother/litter mate. Their parents were both feral. They had both been to the vet and gotten clean bills of health. I do have an appointment for his brother later this week.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Asked by Frodo on Jan 4th 2012 in Loss of a Pet

Answers

I am so very sorry for your loss. How awful for you! Without a necropsy, there really is no definitive way to determine how he died. We lost our Golden Retriever years ago the very same way. Our vet mentioned a possible head injury that caused a weakness in the brain, a stroke-like occurence, an anuerysm, even a weak heart. Brandy dropped so suddenly I even suspected a hunter's stray bullet. We can only content ourselves with the fact that our animals didn't suffer and they passed quickly. Chances of his brother suffering the same fate are rare. But for your own peace of mind, I am glad that you're taking Frodo to the vet. Speak with your vet about the loss of your kitty as frequently as you need to. That's what vets are for and they have much experience dealing with pet loss and grief. Purrs to you, Frodo and your family.

I have no answers but can offer only sympathy. Years ago my cat, same age as Bilbo, hopped off the chair, had a seizure and died instantly. I could not believe he was dead!!!
My vet speculated a heart issue but it was only speculation.