Trent (Angel)

New kitten won't stop crying!

My mummies mummy got a new kitten recently! She is an 8 week old Russian blue, she has been with us for a week. She is cute but she seems to always cry! She came from a breeder, could she be lonely? She gets lots of love and the house is very loud. She didn't seem to like me much but now she is being a lot kinder. It seems like even if she is fed she still cries a lot! Please help, we want her to be happy.

Asked by Trent (Angel) on Feb 9th 2011 Tagged crying, kitten, russianblue in Kittens

Answers

I assume that she's been seen to by a vet and had a basic health check. If she has any obvious health problems, they should have been discovered at that time. Ideally, kittens should be left with their mother and siblings for three months before being rehomed. She was adopted out too early, and may be lonely, confused, and missing her family. Also, what kind of cattery was it? If the kittens and mother were kept mostly isolated, in cages and such, she may not be well socialized yet. Russian Blues are not a very vocal breed, but they were outcrossed with Siamese, who ARE a vocal breed, and perhaps this influence is showing (my guess). RBs are quiet, intelligent, and loyal cats, and tend to stay by your side rather than in your lap. Give her lots of playtime. That will exercise her body and brain and help you bond. Giving her a quiet place where she can feel safe and in control might help, too. Good luck!

As usual, our resident breeder expert gives spot-on advice. I see by your profile that you have Trent and the new baby? It's possible that the baby is a little concerned by how she will be treated by Trent. Historically, the Resident Cat will explains the rules to the newbie, and it usually goes something like "I'm the boss and you will do as I say. Everything in this house, including the humans, is mine!" You say Trent is an in/out cat, and I'm glad he's doing OK outside, but these cats are usually more, shall we say, aggressive because they have to be to survive outside even if they only go out for a while. Keep an eye on Trent and the baby and make sure that he's not intimidating her too much. But, don't interfer unless necessary. It's important for Trent to assert himself with her. And, if Trent isn't "fixed", please do so now. Give the baby a chance, as Leila said. Give her lots of patience and love and playtimes and do take her to her vet to be checked out. Good luck & post pics!