Sully

New cat hiding

Okay, posting for the second time. Apparently first time didn't submit and I can't seem to add to the question I asked yesterday.

After several hours of them being together in the same room, I've put the new kitten (6-7 months) into the bedroom while keeping my older cat out in the rest of the place (both female). Kitten has food, water, litter box; however it appears she has not eaten or used litter box since her arrival yesterday afternoon. Should I worry? How long should it go on before I worry.

Asked by Sully on Dec 2nd 2012 in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

Sorry you experienced what we call "fleas" in the Catster system. It appears that you are doing everything OK. If there were no outright attacks, you may not have to keep the kitten separate for much longer. It's possible she's eating at night, and I'd check around the room to make sure she hasn't pottied somewhere else. One day is not a terribly long time. I usually keep a new cat separated for a week, depending on the new cat and my resident cats' reactions to each other. One of my resident cats, Izzie, the big sissy, is usually the one who hides while the new cat has fun in the rest of the house. Just to make sure that all is well with the new cat, I'd suggest a visit to your vet. It's always a good idea to establish the new member of your family with your vet just for peace of mind. Share your concerns with them at that time and they can help you out.