Vlad

Neutering recovery questions

My cat is getting neutered in the morning and I'm really anxious.

What's the recovery process like and how long does it take?

What can I do to make him happy and comfortable after?

Will he be in pain for a while and unable to do things?

Please and thanks for answers.
<3

Asked by Vlad on May 24th 2012 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Props to you for doing the right thing and neutering your cat! Most cats recover without incident from this surgery. First and foremost, listen to the vet and do what they say. If you have any questions, even on a Holiday Weekend, do not hesitate to contact them, ASK for their contact number should you need it. Things to watch for are excessive licking/biting at the surgery site. He may have to wear one of those collars if he does. When Izzie was neutered, I picked him up the same day. He was "out" of it and didn't eat or drink much. He vomited once but the vet said that was normal. The incision was held together with surgical glue so there were no stitches. I didn't get pain meds for him because truthfully, he wasn't in much pain. By the next day he was the Holy Terror he's been ever since. Watch for redness, swelling, and/or discharge from the site. This surgery is not as involved as a spay so usually activities are not limited. Don't worry mom, your baby boy will be fine!