Neighbors aren't taking care of their cats

Our neighbors two houses down have Mama Chiba and the kittens, but they don't feed them or let them inside their house. They put flea collars on the kittens when they were little, but since then I've not seen any flea medication or anything on them (but they have fleas).

We feed ferals, and the four cats eat out of the food bowl along with the ferals. Mama Chiba has found our unfinished basement/very small laundry room (think the dirtiest, smelliest place you could ever find, she's up in the unfinished part, not the usable part), and now sleeps there at night.

What would you do in this situation? The cats also are not fixed. What could I say to the neighbors?

Asked by Member 258059 on Oct 27th 2008 Tagged neglect, outside in Animal Welfare

Best Answer

Hopefully the animal investigator will look into it. Call OHS because the only animal investigators we have are through them. You can also try to go to your neighbors with info on spaying and neutering. On the OHS website they have info on spay/neuter assistance. Maybe you can tell them about the Cat Adoption Team who now has a food bank for cat food. I have found that often if you go to people about a problem and have some suggestions to resolve those problems it goes a bit better.

You are a dear for caring for these kitties too.

www.oregonhumane.org
www.catadoptionteam.org

answered on Oct 28th.

Answers

What would I do? I am very lucky that in my town I have a very helpful, dedicated animal control officer who works with the police department and local humane shelter to keep the stray/feral population of cats in my neighborhood down to almost nothing. I would contact your local animal control or the nearest animal shelter/pound/rescue and ask for their help. Your neighbors are guilty of abuse and neglect and could face at the least a fine and probably jail time as well. I would not reveal myself as the one who has blown the whistle on them. I witnessed a situation like this when doing animal welfare work and was horrified (but not surprised) when the whistle-blowers own animals started turning up poisoned. If Mama Chiba is approachable, I'd at least try to Frontline her (collars are ineffectual) but since she's not really your cat, you can't spay or vet her without getting in trouble yourself with the neighbor. Turn this over to the authorities and let them handle it.