my young female cat is urinating defiantly all over the house!

Help! My little grey cat(duchess) is peeing everywhere. I don't know what to do to make her stop. Tonight she pranced into the kitchen while we were having dinner with friends and promptly urinated in the middle of the kitchen. I couldn't believe it. We have a litter box on each floor, and they are CLEAN. I clean them everyday, or several times if I smell something. She has been doing this since she arrived. The house is huge, clean and there are no threats here. I'm ticked off, and put her in a kennel. I don't want to neglect or abuse her, I want to know what to do. I have never had to kennel an animal EVER. I feel terrible. HELP!

Asked by Member 554060 on Apr 8th 2008 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Best Answer

Hunter

The very first thing you need to determine is if this is a medical problem. Take her into the vet and have a urinalysis performed. Man y times cats will urinate everywhere except their litter box to show you they have a problem. Do not attempt behavior modification until you know 100% that this is not medical. She will continue to have "accidents" around the house until the UTI is treated.

Hunter answered on Apr 9th.

Answers

Here's some things to consider or try:
Is she too little (young) to make it to the litter box - are they too far away or hidden? (You mentioned the house is huge - sometimes it's TOO huge for her to find her way to the box fast enough)Have you taken her around to the litter boxes so she knows exactly where they are? Maybe you can try a different litter (she may not like it).
Instead of the kennel you could:
Try setting her up in 1 room, with her litter and food (on an opposite wall), with her toys and bed in that room. Let her live in that for a couple days and see if she starts to consistantly use her box. Plus if they are very young, they just don't have it together yet, and it may take a little while for her to control it. I had trouble when I was little, I peed right at my food bowl, and boy I even looked startled! It just happened! I have control now though, but at first I didn't use my box either.
Hope things work out for you. This is solveable with time and patience!

Salem

Well,has she been spayed? My little girl kitty did the same thing, It drove me crazy and I was in the same boat as you. Once I got her fixed it never happened again! Plus she may not like the litter, if you don't already you might want to try something that has no dust. I use Tidy Cat Crystal Blends and they love it! It clumps and there is 0% dust. :)

Salem answered on 4/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

the kaya skye & shyloh paige

along with the litter box suggestions-which are good-you might consider that your kitty could have a medical problem. our cat churrah pees outside the box when he's got crystals in his urine. cats with infections or other problems sometimes soil like this. you don't mention that she's pooping outside the box, so she may be avoiding the litter box to pee because she's associated peeing in the litter box with pain. it's annoying-but i doubt she's trying to annoy you. try nature's miracle for the smell, and consider a vet visit. good luck to you and duchess.

the kaya skye & shyloh paige answered on 4/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

First -- your cat is not "defiantly" peeing anywhere. My bengal has been to the vet many times checking for infection, etc. I have changed litter brands, etc. -- what finally worked Prozac -- Toby the bengal has finally stopped peeing everywhere -- and this was a years old problem -- take your kitty to the vet and he/she will (after blood work and a urinalysis) prescribe prozac for your kitty -- dogs have been using prozac for years -- it's relatively new in cats -- but Toby is finally peeing only in the box -- the first month of prozac he only urinated out of the box -- once or twice -- he's been on it about 9 months now and we're all happy with the results. it's not like tranquilizers (which he'd been prescribed before and we took him off them because he was so glassy eyed). Prozac in humans and animals can't be stopped abruptly -- but I give toby his dose every night and you'll be very happy with its results.