Varoom

My stray cat is panting...

My stray cat, that has adopted us this past week, meows and then pants. I can't gauge if he is ill or if he is not used to meowing. He is a Siamese of some kind -- bright blue eyes and dark points on his body. He has a raspy voice, and I can't tell how old he is; he appears to be an older kitty, and is unaltered -- I plan on altering him, but he needs to be comfortable around me. Anyway, when he meows his raspy, I-want-food meow, he starts panting right afterward. What does that mean? I hope there is nothing wrong with him -- he is a beautiful cat. I call him Bonito.

Asked by Varoom on Oct 16th 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

I understand from other Catsters that some cats do pant and they have no health issues. However, before welcoming this cat into your family and to keep your other cats safe, I would try to get this guy to the vet's as soon as you can. At the least, Bonito may have fleas and you don't want an infestation. The only one who can tell if Bonito is 100% healthy is a vet in real time. Good luck, and thanks for caring!

Don't want to scare you. Yeah that is a bad beginning. I had a dog once. He started to pant and seek cold surfaces. So I took him to vet. He had lung cancer and 80% of his lungs were gone. Again. I don't want to freak you out. Go see a vet, I don't know much about cats, I just remember that part of my life.