My Runt won't Grow?

My roomates and I recently adopted a stray Cat. We knew she was pregnant and just about to pop. We took her to the vet and got everything cleared up. About a week later she gave birth. My fiance and I prayed for a white kitten. Low and behold the last kitten from the calico was white. But the runt. He's 10 days old and his brothers and sister are big nice healthy kittens. But the white one closely resembles Golem from lord of the rings. He's very Vocal. And he eats alot of Kmr newborn formula everyday. But while his siblings have doubled in siz he's gotten maybe a teensy bit bigger. He's still so skinny and sickly. Is this normal? Will he catch up? aside from his size he seems very healthy and Momma loves him and has not rejected him. Should my fiance and I just be patient? Will he get bigger? Is there something I can do? I'm already feeding him ._.

Asked by Member 970949 on Mar 5th 2010 Tagged runt, growth, healthy in Health & Safety

Answers

Airel

He just may be the very little for a runt . If you feel that something is wrong with his health , maybe you should take him to the vet for his thoughts . But with runts they tend to be smaller than their normal littermates. Besides since mommy hasn't rejected him is a good sign , normally if a kitten is too sickly the mom will not have anything with them . Also another good sign is that he is eating or should I say drinking formula . But like I said if in douth have him checked out .

Airel answered on 3/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If you are giving him KMR as a supplement to Momcat's milk, he is likely to survive (and bless you for adopting a pregnant cat and doing supplemental feeding). Most cats have unevenful pregnancies--meaning that the kittens produced live to be adults. But neonatal deaths are not uncommon. I have a feeling that your "Runt" will survive. Some cats develop more slowly than others. Ten days is very young for a kitten. Have your kitten checked out by the vet--I'm not a vet, but have experienced cat childbirth. And I've also experienced kitten death--very sad. But I'd say that your white laddy is going to survive, although he may not develop at the same rate as his siblings. Many prayers and many purrs. And do take him to the vet...

Chibi answered on 3/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Tigger

Take it from me I was the runt of the litter. I am 18 months old and no were the size of my brother or sisters. It took me a long time to gain weight. As long as the mother Kitty is feeding it and not rejecting it you will survive, as long, if not longer, then the other kittens. If you are concerned about the size take the kitten to the vet to be sure everything is alright. Keep us informed.

Tigger answered on 3/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer