Gracie

My new kitten won't drink water what should i do?

I found her and decided to keep her. When I got her home, I didn't know how old she was so i gave her milk replacement. She didnt drink that. When I gave her water. She didnt drink that either. What do i need to do

Asked by Gracie on Jun 17th 2010 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Tondo

Good on you for taking the kitten on. How old is your kitten? If she is very young she will need much more that just milk. She may need her anus and tummy stimulated several times a day in order to get her digestive system to work. This can be done with a piece of cotton wool dipped in warm water, simulating the mother's tongue. If she is not weaned yet, you should feed her on proper cat milk substitute.

If she is weaned and eats wet food, she probably does not need to drink anything. Just leave a bowl of water down just in case she wanted.

Tondo answered on 6/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This is sad to say, but when a kitten is abandoned by its mother, there is usually a reason. Mother animals have a sixth sense about when there's something wrong and they won't take the time to raise a baby who is not well. Having said that, your best bet if this little one is not eating or drinking, is to take her to a vet as soon as you can. She needs to be tested for those nasty kitty diseases and given an overall check. This is best for you to do before you get too attached. The vet can also recommend the best things and the best way to feed her, and estimate her age and what she needs. We'll keep you both close in our hearts and thoughts. Let us know how she's doing!

The previous poster's advice is good. Always leave fresh water out for your kitten to drink. She will drink when she wants, especially during the hot weather. If she is eating wet food and drinking kitten replacement formula, she may be getting adequate hydration. Check with your veterinarian if they recommend anything else. I am glad you decided to keep the little kittie and it sounds like you are doing a good job, as you are concerned about her well-being and health!

Won't drink water??? Go to the vet, NOW!!! Goode luck and purrs.

Leia

I don't think she needs milk replacement at 2 months. I got my kitten at 2 months and she was fine eating wet and dry food for kittens. Since your kitten isn't drinking water, I would suggest feeding her kitten wet food only, about 4 times a day as much as she will eat. This will make sure she gets enough hydration because wet food is about 70% water.

Leia answered on 6/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I just adopted a 9 month old kitten and did a lot of research on foods since so much has evolved in pet food. Go to www.catinfo.org for the best advice I found on food and the fact cats do have problems with hydration. "Wellness" seems to be the best for the money & pick up "NO GRAIN" since cats do not need grain & fillers are a waste of money and health for your baby. I got Wellness Core brand dry so she has something to snack on while i'm gone for hours since she's very active.
GOOD LUCK. Gracies is a cutie-pie! Natalie

Duchess

I would say a trip to the vet is in order to see how she is, and the vet can guess pretty well on age and see if there are any health issues.

as for the KMR, she needs to drink that and she will understand it is food she's just scared and lonely most likely right now. That's how mine was when I first got Duchess she was cold, hungry and lonely. Make sure that your kitten has a warm place that is not drafty, over heated or bright lights shine in since most likely she can't handle the light just yet. I would use a heating pad wrapped in a towel to help keep her warm along with a space for her to move off of if she gets too hot. Other than that make sure she is happy and you'll be fine. Kittens aren't interested in water right now either they are too young and she will need only KMR and help with peeing for now, but a vet visit is very important

Duchess answered on 9/17/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If feeding wet kitten food, add a little water to it to give it more moisture. My older cat was constipated and so to give him more fluids i added a bit more water to his cat food and made sure to mix it all in. And to the person that said an abandoned baby is not a well baby. I disagree. Ruby was abandoned and I fed her kitten milk and did the stimuation and she's a beautiful 4 year old cat that still wants me aound when she wants to eat.