My Male cat won't stop peeing on things.

I have a male cat who is a little less than a year old and he pees on everything. Clothes, blankets, backpacks, and now the couch. He's not spraying because he's squatting and actually just peeing (that and I got him neutered four months ago). His litter box is clean, I got him one of those self cleaning boxes after I started working again and I change the tray regularly. Please help, I love my cat and don't want to have to give him away but I am tired of my house smelling like cat pee.

Asked by Member 1157760 on Mar 3rd 2013 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

I'm wondering if he is scared of the self cleaning litter box. I have heard stories of cats who will not use those, because they are terrified of them. If I were you, I would get a regular litter box, with regular litter, in fact, several of them, and put them different places in the house, so that he has them close by. Then you have to clean up where he has peed so he won't pee there again, with an enzymatic cleaner, like Odoban, we use this, we get it at Walmart, or even white vinegar and water. I have known cats who refuse to use the automatic litter boxes, that would be my first guess.

Beep is absolutely right. I had a male cat who was terrified of the automatic box. He started peeing next to it, and every cat I had thereafter would also cover that spot. To be quite honest, taking the auto-box I had apart and cleaning it was a giant, messy pain in the you know what. I was soaked, there was slimy,wet litter everywhere and a few days later I had to do it all over again. It used special litter and if the store was out of it, I was out of luck and so was my cat. Hard to believe, but when I got a regular box for him and started daily scooping, it was almost a "pleasure" not to have to deal with the auto box. Neutering him should have no affect one way or the other on his not using the box. Do make certain, however, that you have him tested for a bladder infection or crystals in his urine. It could be that he had pain when using the box and now blames the box for it.