baby&titan

my maincoon hates to be picked up.. why!?

i adoped a maincoon reasntly, when my titan passed away. his two brothers, ( one biological ) were so sad, wouldent eat or play. when i got lynx, ( the maincoon ) everyone lit up!, baby does not play much like he did, but deffantly an improvment. anyway, lynx is so playfull, funny, and sweet. but for some reason he hates being off the ground, he appsolutly hates beaing picked up! is it bc its his nature? or just its not for him?

Asked by baby&titan on Apr 25th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Cats like to be in control of their situations at all times. Lifting a cat up off the ground, especially when it's done by a stranger to them, can be grounds for clawing and/or biting, which my sister-in-law found out from Izzie the hard way. They feel out of control and trapped even if the person has the best of intentions. When we settle in for the evening and my dog wants to get up on my lap and Izzie is in the way, I can lift him up for a few seconds so she can jump up, but that's it. It IS his natures and it's not for him. You can't change him, so just accept him the way he is. It sounds like he gets along well with the others. I'll bet Titan sent him a special message from The Rainbow Bridge!

Alot of cats don't like being picked up. I don't & I'm not a lap cat either. I do love laying next to Mommy & being petted, but that's about as far as it goes.