Cleo

My kitten is untrainable!

My kitten, Buddy, is about 4 months old. I got him from a rescue, and I was told he was the leader of his liter and also a very cuddly lap kitten. He is very cuddly! But, he is also not scared of anything! Which is only bad when he does something like jump on the kitchen counter. Loud noises don't detur the behavior, spray bottle doesn't work. Both just get me a funny look like, "why'd you do that?" I currently remove him from the situation, put him back on the floor, tell him no and swat his rump. That seems to be an invitation to just jump up there again as soon as I turn around. Any advise?

Asked by Cleo on Jul 24th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Tasha

Cats, especially kittens, are very curious about their surroundings. Make sure you are giving them lots of play time with fun, interactive toys. I am personally not a fan a spraying a cat with water, swatting them, or yelling at them, as this accomplishes nothing and only serves to frighten the cat and destroy their bond with you. Just gently pick up your kitty and remove them from the counter. And just know, they will still continue to jump on the counter when you're not around because, well, they are cats;)

Tasha answered on 7/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Gizmo

Hello Buddy's Mommy, I have to agree with Tasha Belle here, i personally do not like to use physical punishment on kitties as sometimes they tend to associate the Punishment with the person rather than the punishment with the bad behaviour.(although my two older cats use it on our kitten all the time!!)
I can sympathise with you i have a 3month old Kitten causing havoc in the house too,he is a fearless little bean, nothing i do or move or get out seems to bother him,He gets on realy well with our two year old daughter too!(our other cats tend to avoid her as shes a can be a bit loud), they chase eachother about and play hide and seek together. So i guesse we just got the fearless ones!
Always Calmly remove him from situations that are dangerous(countertops etc).
Have you tried giving him something to climb , a cat tree maybe?
Also an idea to have sessions of one to one play with him to tire him out a bit, hes maybe just looking for something to do or investigate! hope all is well x

Gizmo answered on 7/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You've gotten excellent advice from Tasha Belle and Gizmo. It's not so much that Buddy is untrainable as that you are having a battle of the wills with him. Part of having a cat is accepting that cats do things like jumping up on counters, furniture, entertainment centers (Izzie), open cupboards and run around inside (also Izzie) and then climb up on your lap when you don't feel good and purr to comfort you. Get some things that are OK for Buddy to climb on like one of those big carpeted cat trees. They aren't THAT expensive and he'll have it all his life. Put it by a window so he can watch "cat t.v.". Praise him when he climbs up there. He's like a preschooler--he has to be taught what's acceptable, but he also has to be given a little freedom to explore his world. Good luck!

Mr Mufasa Meowgi

Hi,
I think my little kitten is untrainable haha. I'm pretty consistent with what I do, move him if he's doing something he shouldn't, ignore him (when he's biting/scratching lol) and recently i've been treating him for good behaviour, the latter seems to work the best with my little one. I'm focussing on the biting when he's overexcited so when he lets my hand near him without biting me ill give him a treat. I find it's much more effective and keeps me in his good book haha. Hope it helps a little.

Mr Mufasa Meowgi answered on 7/27/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer