My kitten is biting scratching me whenver i get close to her.

I adopted my kitten Nala (female) from a friend. She is around 2 months old now, give or take a week. I've been reading from places about the importance of showing her love, but whenever i get close to her she attacks my hand or feet.

At night, she likes to fall asleep on my bed, probably too scared to sleep under the bed during the night. However, whenever my hand gets close to her she follows it and if it's close enough she will scratch and bite my hand or my sleeve. If i'm in my chair or standing up, she will attack my feet or pants instead.

If it makes a difference, before this behavior became a daily occurrence, she would like to sleep in my lap and near me, which I read is a good thing.

Asked by Member 1151397 on Jan 22nd 2013 Tagged scratching, biting, kitten in Behavior & Training

Answers

Although what she's doing is painful for you, to her, it's natural stalking behavior. She needs to be taught what is acceptable behavior and what isn't. And, I don't mean by shrieking at or hitting her. This will only reinforce the unwanted behavior. If you have ever played with her using your hands or feet as a toy or anyone else does, stop immediately. Tape a few pennies into a soda can, and when she attacks your feet, shake it at her and say, "NO BITE!" and walk away. Same for your hands. Show her you are displeased with her, much as a mama cat would. I've also used a spray bottle on my cats and dogs, but I never spray it directly into their face. When you play with her, use toys like wands or even teach her to "fetch". Yes, cats can be taught, like dogs, to play fetch. When you do play with her, keep playtimes fun but not crazy-wild. She is more apt to bite and claw if she's hyper.