My kitten is being antisocial.

She seems to be a lot less interested in me than I'd like. She would rather be left alone to play with her toys. When I approach, she often runs away. When I do pick up a toy to play with her (such as a bit of sisal rope) she seems more eager to watch my hand, entranced by it and not caring about the toy. She will play with the toy eventually, but I'd rather her not be so interested in eyeing up my hand like a slab of steak. I just want to be able to have my kitten respond better to me when I want to pet her, and have her attention more on the toy in my hand than my hand itself.

Asked by Member 1109007 on May 3rd 2012 Tagged toys, petting, socialization in Socialization

Answers

This is a critical learning period in your kitten's life. Go to the ASPCA website to learn more about how to socialize kittens. Most importantly, don't force her to do things she doesn't want to do. Let her get used to you and play with you how and when she wants. Pet her and hold her when she's sleepy so she feels safe with you.

Monster gives wonderful advice. The LAST thing you want is for her to see your hand as a toy. Invest in some of those "teaser sticks" or fishing pole cat toys. The lines are longer and she will be more likely to concentrate on the toy at the end. As for her being antisocial, not all cats are huggy and cuddly. Out of three, I have one who is (Delilah)after 2 years of socialization, one who is on her own terms (Lizzie) and Izzie who is very uninterested except at supper time. Keep working with your kitten, using patience and kindness. Like a human child, she needs to learn to trust and play.