My husband and my cat at odds...please help.

My husband wants my cat to stay off of all the furniture that is not specifically CAT-furniture. So we have double-sided tape on all of our couches and chairs and crinkled tin foil on all the tables. Its ridiculous and as soon as it is removed the cat climbs right back on the furniture. Its actually become a challenge for him. He's now trying to figure out how to work through the gauntlet of tape just to find the one spot he can lay. He does have two rather large carpeted cat trees and a huge area rug that are "his."

Asked by Member 1001852 on Aug 25th 2010 Tagged deterrents, training, couches in Methods of Training

Answers

My first thoughts are whose idea was it to get your cat? Was he there before your husband? And, does your husband know that climbing is an inherent part of a cat's make-up. They like to be high up to be able to survey and guard their territory. It's difficult to foil, crinkle, tape or spray-bottle this out of a cat. My cats are all over our furniture and even though my husband isn't a big fan of cats, he tolerates it because he knows my cats are part of my life. You may need to promise your husband that you will be diligent about vacuuming the furniture, wiping down the counters and grooming the cat to avoid as much flying fur as possible. I vacuum at least once a day and brush Delilah constantly during the day. This is a situation for compromise on both parts for the happiness of all involved, including the kitty, who is, after all, just doing what comes naturally.