My female cat won't poop in her litter box anymore.

My cat has decieded that she dosen't want to poop in her litter box anymore, She'll pee just not poop. She'll poop somewhere in the house. I clean the litter box constantly, keeping it clean for her. She usually would pee in the front by the door and poop in the back but not anymore she'll only pee in there. What can I do?

Asked by Member 844650 on Jun 10th 2009 Tagged behavior, pooping, training, litterboxproblems in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Cats usually stop using the box for two main reasons, one is a health concern and the other is stress. If you've noticed your cat dragging her bottom or grooming "down there" excessively, she may have impacted anal glands, which are glands on each side of the anus. Usually, these glands express themselves during defecation, but sometimes they become infected. It's uncomfortable for them to poop and they associate the box with pain. It could also be some other health problem. Stress is another factor. Cats will often use feces to mark their territory. Examine your life since she's stopped using the box. New pet in the house? New roomate? New litter or box? Different location for the box? Stray cats outside? Do you follow where I'm going with this? Something that may seem insignificant to you may have caused her stress and to start pooping outside the box as her way of telling you she's upset. First, take her to her vet. Then talk with them about what may have happened.