My female cat cannot walk or stand/sit up!

Her front paws/legs are limp. Her back legs are stiff. When I set her down she just collapses like a rag doll and makes no attempt to get up.

When I pinch her back paws she pulls them back but when i pinch her front paws there is no reaction.
She acts normal. No cries of pain. She tried eating last night.

I don't have the money to send her to the vet. Is their anyway I can help her?

Asked by Member 688900 on Aug 10th 2008 Tagged cantmovestopwalkingcannotstandup in Health & Wellness

Answers

Soxy

Hmm..
If you have no idea what to do at all.. I wouldent attempt because it could end up in a result of your cat been unhappy or could even make him/her worse. Your cat sounds like they are in great need of a vet.
Mail me if you need any more help.

Soxy answered on 8/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Whisper (over the rainbow brid

We had something similiar happen to an older dog. She may have had a stroke. The vet can give her medicine to prevent another, more devestating stroke and also may me able to suggest things to get some of her movement back.
There have been times when we got a credit card just to help a pet. It was difficult, but always well worth the extra expense.

Whisper (over the rainbow brid answered on 8/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Hunter

You MUST get her to a vet. Find the money somewhere...a friend, neighbor, family member. Call your vet and see if they can set up a payment plan with you. Apply for Care Credit, anything. There is nothing for you to do at home because we do not know what is the reason for the loss of the use of the legs.
You say she tried eating but didn't say if she was successful. You absolutely need to make sure she gets food and water and if she can't get to it herself you need to hold the food dish for her so she can safely eat and drink. If she can't so these things she will develop even further problems. Please get her in ASAP!!!!

Hunter answered on 8/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Max

Get her to a vet. Its not like the vet is going to to ignore you just because you do not have the money.

Max answered on 8/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tigger

She needs to see a vet for sure. Have you tried contacting these guys: www.felineoutreach.org they might be able to help with the expense..

Tigger answered on 8/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Just had same problem with my cat. He was diagnosed with haemobartonella felis, a blood parasite which causes anaemia and liver problems. After two days of treatment - antibiotic and a liver function promoting drug - he can walk and is eating again.

Ask the vet to please help your cat free this time. When you have some money pay the vet.

RedBull

Hey, it sounds like your cat might have brain damage, did anything happen before she got this bad? Did she fall/fight or anything else?

Also, how old is she? Younger cats can get over nervous system problems easier then older cats because they still grow.

If you don't have the money to take her to the vet at least call and see how much it will cost, then you decide if it's too much. You can also take her to a rescue center, they sometimes have funds for people that cannot afford treatment for their pet.

I hope she turns out okay, but do get her checked out!

RedBull answered on 8/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer