my dog stop eating why

my 1 year old dog just stop eating every thing dry food .so i try to feed canned and he did like it just ,for a few days and stop eating i do not know what to do for him. i have no money for a vet. diana v.

Asked by Member 994778 on Jun 29th 2010 Tagged whatcanidoformydog, tomakehimeat in Pet Food

Answers

This is a cat site, but since I have dogs, I will try to advise. Whenever an animal stops eating, there is something wrong. You can try feeding him a few tablespoons of vanilla ice cream, cottage cheese or some meat baby food. Sometimes that helps. But, honestly, he needs to go to the vet to find out why he stopped eating. Call a local shelter or rescue. When I volunteered with one, we never turned away a sick animal. We always tried to help. Look online to find a rescue in your area and tell them what you've told us. Your kitty friends here wish you good luck. We will be purring for you!

I agree with Izzie's Mom that you really should take him to the vet. But it also depends on the breed of the dog. My Mom's poodle decides he hates his food all the time and refuses to eat it so she has to buy new food. But my big mutt Max will eat just about anything. Does your dog still accept cookies? If he still eats heartily when he gets a treat and just refused the food in his dish it may be fussy eating. When Max was ill my vet suggested cooking him some boiled hamburger till his tummy felt better. You literally crumble it up and boil it in water like you would with pasta to get all the fat out of it. You can mix that with some plain rice and see if he will eat. But do try posting on Dogster.com instead of Catster and maybe some people will have more ideas for you.