My cat's urinalysis showed no crystals but she is still having problems...

My cat had crystals in her urine in November and I was told she needed to go on the Rx diet by the vet I took her to who is not her usual vet. Long story short, my usual vet just gave her antibiotics which seemed to help her "infection" (going in and out of the litterbox frequently, peeing in the sink etc) but it recently came back while still finishing out her antibiotics. Took her to a new, better, vet who did another urinalysis this month in January and found no crystals and normal urine. He said to monitor her the rest of the week and if shes still having litterbox issues, then he will probably put her on Rx food.

Has anyone else had this problem with crystals appearing but then later disappearing while the cat is still having litter box problems?

Asked by Member 1149948 on Jan 14th 2013 Tagged uticrystalsantibiotics in Illness & Disease

Answers

Cats have good memories. One of the issues with your cat may be that she remembers being uncomfortable and in pain when using the box. She's not crazy about using it again in case the pain returns. When I had litter box issues with my cats when we moved, I switched the style of my boxes completely. I bought one very large box for Izzie, who is 17lbs. and needs a big box, and also purchased a long Rubbermaid "underbed storage" container. I'm also convinced that someties not using the box becomes a habit. Delilah goes in my bathtub. I handle that issue by leaving a few inches of bathwater in the tub each night. Ask the vet if they think her issues could be more psychological than physical.