My cat's stomach looks like she swallowed a football, what's wrong

Does she have worms?

Asked by Member 806106 on Feb 19th 2009 in Worms & Parasites

Answers

Worms will make a cat's stomach distended. You need to take her to the vet to have her examined. If it's worms, they can test to see what type she has and give her a dewormer treatment for that type of worms. If it's something else, they can take care of that too.

Blaze

I just wanted to add that you should try to bring a stool sample when you go to the vet to save yourself a trip later. Just put it in a plastic baggie. I had Blaze at the vet yesterday and they want to rule out intestinal parasites as the source for her stinky gas and gurgley belly so now I have to do litterbox patrol and then drive back there with a sample. Also, I don't know how old your cat is, but my friend's cat had a big belly and unfortunately it was a tumor. You really need to have a vet check this out as soon as possible.

Blaze answered on 2/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Two points: my three Maine Coons came from the breeder with the special free gift of roundworms--and no one had a distended belly. (I only discovered this when I fed them RAW and Chibi barfed up stuff that wriggled.) Second point--too obvious to mention, but is your cat spayed? If not, then we have another possibility to consider...

Whatever the cause, it sounds like her stomach is terribly distended. Go to the vet.

Chibi answered on 2/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Charlie

1.) She could have worms. Most of the time, you don't find worms in the stool, you need to take a poop sample to your vet and have them do a microscopic exam to look for worm eggs. Or just ask them to deworm her (sometimes the deworming medication is cheaper than the fecal test).
2.) Is she spayed? If not, she may be pregnant. And if you got her from someone that told you she was spayed-don't always trust what people say. Have your vet verify whether or not there is a spay scar.
3.) She may have a heart condition causing fluid buildup in her abdomen. Your vet can easily listen to her heart to detect a heart murmur. (my cat has this problem and his tummy occasionally fills with fluid).
4.) She could have FIP. FIP is a disease that also causes fluid to buildup in the abdomen. I don't want to go into too much detail about FIP, so have her seen by the vet to determine if she has this.
5.) Is she constipated?

Charlie answered on 2/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer