My cats smell like rotten eggs! Help!

I have 3 cats. Their ages are 17,7 and 7 months. For the past week they have had the worst gas. Their diet has not changed, they have always been eating organic cat food. I buy the same brand and flavor. I feed them both dry and wet food daily. The only thing that has changed is the two older cats go outdoor most of the day. But because of the recent snow storms, they have only been going out for about 1 hour per day.

Asked by Member 782276 on Dec 21st 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Any time a kitty goes outside, you cannot control what they're eating out there. They could be eating anything from plants to old fruit (like apples) that have fallen from trees to prey they have caught. Someone may also be putting out food or they may have gotten into someone's garbage. You may feed them a wonderful diet, but unless it's an exclusive diet, they're intestinal upsets are probably coming from outdoors. As for the younger one, Izzie was very gassy when he was younger also. Lily Rose still is. If they all eat together, chances are they are eating very quickly because each one wants the lion's share of food. They're probably swallowing a lot of air when they eat. Unless the gas problem is accompanied by diarrhea or loss of appetite, I wouldn't worry about it and just deal with it. It's not pleasant, but I can guarantee you, it bothers you once it's "out" a lot more than it bothers them.

Oscar J. doesn't have a lot of gas, but my toy fox terrorist has big time gas. Took him to the vet, and it turns out it's because of how quickly he eats. He always eats everything in one sitting and in a hurry. When that happens, they swallow at lot of air which gives them them a case of the toots.

Unless you think they're eating something dangerous outside, I wouldn't really worry about it.

They could have got worms or a GI infection. Outdoor cats can pick this up from eating mice etc and once one has it they can pass it to others. Make an appointment with your vet and take in some poop samples from the litter box. Since they all seem to have the same thing ask your vet if you need to bring in all 3 or just one cat for an exam.

Blue

I am not sure what you feed your cats but a good place to get some information would be on healthpetslive.com. They have a lot of good information and are very helpful.

Blue answered on 12/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Do their stools smell as well? I have 4 resident cats and 7 kittens, and several of them have loose, smelly stools. With two of them, the cause seems to have been an organism such as Campylobacter (the vet didn't do a culture, but the meds he gave me worked), and another has some rod-shaped bacteria and is currently under treatment. I need to have the others checked soon. None of my cats had gas, but the odor from their stools was enough to wake the dead. People tend to think of worms when there are gastrointestinal disturbances, but there are a lot of other possible causes. I'd advise taking your cats to the vet and getting their stools checked, just to make sure they aren't carrying around something icky. Campylobacter, for example, is a zoonotic organism, which means it can infect humans as well as animals. See your vet, and make sure to wash your hands with antibacterial soap after changing the litter pans!