Oreo

My cats has a swollen lip

Over the last few months my cat oreos lower right lip has been swollen, it will go away and come back, now it came back and its bigger than the last times. He can barely eat cause of the pain, and I just noticed about 10 min. ago theres some dry blood on the side of his lip. Id take him to a vet but hes a one person cat, he dosent like anyone else and whenever we have tried to take him to a vet, he hisses/growls and freaks out in his cage. The vet wont touch him because he gets very violent around strangers. I need help fast cause I dont want him to suffer anymore.

Asked by Oreo on Jan 5th 2008 Tagged lip, swollen in Illness & Disease

Answers

Sam

I call around and see if there's a vet in your area that does home visits. If you're vet can't deal with a cat who doesn't like going to the vet then he can't be that good a vet. Especially in this instance, giving Oreo something like children's benadryl should chill him out enough so that the vet can get a peek at his lip safely.
This sounds like something he seriously needs to go to the vet for.

Sam answered on 1/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Morgana - forever my soul

A little late answering this. It sounds like Oreo may have what's called an indolent (or rodent) ulcer. This is part of a group of a skin diseases called Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex. There are 3 different kinds under this complex but all are related. It can be serious & needs to be checked. Please read over these 2 articles on it:
www.thepetcenter.com
www.marvistavet.com

The population of your city is 3x what mine is & there's have 5 diff vet clinics here. Surely, there's a more compassionate AND skilled vet you can take Oreo to. A GOOD vet knows how to deal with scared cats & can do a lot to keep him calm. Whether or not he's terrified at the vet's, you owe it to him to get treatmenbt. His suffering outweighs any stress he feels at vets. Here's a list of 13 vet clinics in Davenport alone:
www.switchboard.com
Surely one of them has a kind & patient vet.

Morgana - forever my soul answered on 1/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer