My cat won't stop scratching her ears. I don't know what's wrong

This has been going on for a while now - ever since she got bit by a spider on her ear. The spider bite has been gone for months, but she still refuses to stop scratching. Her ears (especially the one where the spider bit her) always have scabs and are bleeding. I thought she might have ear mites, but her ears are pretty clean. Looking down in them, there's no debris/ear wax/crusties visible. I don't know what's wrong with her and I don't have much money to spend on a vet visit...especially if it turns out there's nothing wrong.

Asked by Member 1155590 on Feb 16th 2013 Tagged ears, scratching in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Cat ears are delicate little things. If your kitty is scratching to the point of scabbing and bleeding, sorry to have to say this, but she needs to go to the vet. I've never seen a vet refuse to treat a cat in distress just because the owner couldn't pay, and I'm sure that a vet would work out a payment plan for you if you promised to pay as much as you can when you can. You should not "self-medicate" her ears and especially not stick anything like cotton swabs into them. Cat's ears are not the same as our's. Their ear canals are deeper and go at a differnt angle and only a vet has the proper instruments to check for mites or infections down there. I would consider taking her to the vet to find out what's going on as peace of mind. You can also check with a shelter and ask which vet they use. Vets who work for shelters are sometimes less expensive.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Feb 18th.

There Are No Other Answers

More Questions in This Category