My cat won't let me go to bed!

I have recently got a rescue cat, they found her as a stray. She's 10 years old and super sweet and loving during the day. As soon as I start to get ready for bed she starts crying at me asking for cuddles (which I give her) and then she runs away. She won't settle in one place for more than 10 minutes and the other night she turned the gas stove on while I was sleeping! I get really scared she's going to hurt herself because she becomes unstable and knocks over things above her and I've tried to eliminate anything that could fall (my apartment is now in complete disarray!) but she finds something else!!! Please help - I'm going crazy.

Asked by Member 1125808 on Aug 15th 2012 in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Cats are more active at night. Their natural cycle is hunt, eat, sleep, so before going to bed, give her a really good play session, then a small meal to replicate this natural cycle. That should help settle her down for the night, She's also getting used to a new environment and a new person, so she's probably a bit more wound up right now than she would normally be at her age.

What do you know about this cat's past since she is a rescue? She's older and maybe just wants reassurance that she won't be dumped or abandoned. I would give her plenty of attention when you are home, play with her before bedtime for 10-15 minutes. A ball or a laser pointer are good cat toys to wear her out. If she settles down, let her sleep with you and cuddle. If she won't settle down, use the bathroom as her bedroom. Make a cozy resting spot for her with her litter box, water and maybe a few nibbles of dry food. Maybe she will get on a schedule and calm down when it is bed time. I did this with my feral kitten rescues and they soon liked knowing they had their own little room. A night light would help too! I hope kitty adjusts. Please give her a chance and be patient. Best of luck to you.