My cat started loosing hair on her back rapidly.

I brush it out and she feels better. She eats well otherwise. When her hair comes out it has brown base. At first I thought that she had scratches that were healing, but now, I don't think so. It's only on the top of her back over her whole back.

Asked by Member 841960 on Jun 1st 2009 Tagged rapidhairloss in Shedding

Answers

You should take her to the vet to get checked out. It could be ringworm, an allergy or some kind of excema but you need a vet to figure out what it is and the treatment she needs.

Has anything possibly been stressing out the cat? I have 2 cats, and one of them became sick, and ended up needing surgery. During this time, my other cat began loosing her hair, I took her to the vet and she got a clean bill of health. Need less to say, after the other cat's surgery and his recovery, my second cat's hair came back. Just something to think about.

It's suspicious that she's only losing hair on her back, but are you sure that it's not just shedding because of the warmer weather? I would certainly take her in for a vet check, but simple shedding is a possibility. You don't say how old your cat is, but in my experience, cats (both long and short haired) don't really begin to shed much until they are adults--between one and two years. Having said that--take her to the vet.