my cat rarely vomits hairballs. Should I be worried?

Asked by Member 1116555 on Jun 19th 2012 Tagged hairballs, vomiting, maiinecoon in Grooming

Best Answer

I never used to throw up either & it would cause me problems. At the beginning of every year, I'd get backed up with hairballs & Mommy would have to take me to the vet to get an enema. I ate a bug in the apartment one day & got a nasty infection. Ever since then, for some reason, I haven't had a problem throwing up. Mommy does give me Pro Pet Hairball Gel that you can get at Walmart. It's inexpensive & it works for me!

Twinkle answered on Jun 20th.

Answers

Wicket

I have 3 long haired cats (Wegie, Ragamuffin and Himmie) and none of them ever vomit hairballs, ironically the shorthaired brothers barf them a low. I've asked my vet about them not barfing and they said as long as they're not dry heaving, i.e. trying to get a hairball out but not able to, there's really nothing to worry about. My Ragamuffin was dry heaving and some malt helped send that out the other way lol.

Wicket answered on 6/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If you are truly concerned, get him some catgrass. This is a perfect time of year to throw some potting soil into a shallow pot, put some seeds in and within a week, he'll be happily chowing down on the grass. Be prepared that it "auto-reverses" rather quickly, so have some carpet cleaner and paper towels ready. My cats absolutely adore the catgrass--not just catnip, but wheatgrass, rye grass, etc. There are a number of websites who sell these seeds.