My cat never stops begging for food. Help please!

He has been doing it since I adopted him 5+ years ago.
It is not like he is exclusively interested in my food either. He will sit in his bed, when I am sitting as well, but if I even stir, he thinks I am getting up and immediately starts meowing. He will walk directly in front of me as if to try and influence where I step, and will follow me wherever I go, yowling constantly. I feed him 3 times a day, in as close to 8 hour intervals as I can get. Even right after he finishes a meal, he will come expectantly back to me and start begging for more.
I have tried EVERYTHING I could think of over the years:
Spraying with water, locking him in the bathroom extremely consistently when he begs, hollering at him (more out of frustration, obviously), and even nudging him out of my way with my foot when he almost trips me.
The cat would eat until he got sick and threw up if I gave him the option to. I don't hand feed him, or give him scraps. I just don't know what to do about it...

Asked by Member 1142766 on Nov 28th 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Chester

My housebrother, Tiger, would eat until he threw up if he was allowed to, as well. The vet told us that sometimes, big male cats just do that seemingly without reason. Dogs are better known for that silly habit, aren't they? :)

Are you feeding him a high-quality cat food with plenty of protein to keep him full? He's not having any health problems associated with the big appetite, right? Sometimes cats will be ravenous and ask for food if they are ill with something, but if you say he's been begging for years, perhaps that's not it.

As for getting underfoot and nearly tripping you... why, that's one of my specialities! I especially like to sit right in the doorway when I see a human trying to walk through it with a heavy load :)

Chester answered on 11/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chester is right. All my animals follow me everywhere and as I've said before, all think their name is "MOVE!" I eat when I'm bored or upset. Is it possible that your cat just needs a little extra playtime with a fascinating new toy and his person? When Izzie was a kitten, I used to roll a large marble across our tile floor. The marble followed the grout lines in the tile and it was kind of hypnotic for both of us 8o) Try distracting him with playtimes and see if that doesn't curb his begging. Playtime will also burn calories as well if you're fearful he's gaining weight. And, as Chester said, make sure you check with your vet for a well-kitty exam.