My cat keeps PEEING and PEEING. Any tips?

My cat has diabetes so he drinks a lot of water. We have raised the insulin level but he keeps peeing large amounts. The litter box is so bad the pee will stick to the scooper and won't come off. HELP!

Asked by Member 1034652 on May 22nd 2011 Tagged pee, oldcat, diabetes in Diabetes

Answers

Your cat's diabetes is not being managed properly. This happened with my father's diabetic cat and she has since passed. You need to take him back to the vet and have them tell you how much his insulin needs to be adjusted. This is not something you should be doing on your own. Insulin is administered twice daily (12 hours apart), not when you feel like doing it! As for the litter box, add another one and try a better clumping litter - Scoop Away is pretty good. Most importantly, get kitty to the vet ASAP!

Gumpy Sweet Boy

Yes, your cat's diabetes is not well regulated. If he's peeing that much and drinking that much water his glucose levels are too high. The vet needs to evaluate this and help you adjust the insulin dose to get his diabetes under control. I would also encourage you to consider testing your cats blood glucose levels at home. This way you can see how he's doing and how the insulin is working without having to go to the vet for glucose checks all the time. Human diabetics always check their own glucose levels. It's takes a little time to learn how to do, but it can really help get your cat's diabetes under control. Visit the message board at www.felinediabetes.com for help and information.

Another possibility here is that your insulin is not working and somehow lost efficacy (maybe it was shaken and damaged) or possibly the particular type of insulin isn't working well for your cat. There are a few insulins that are used with cats and maybe your cat needs a different insulin.

Gumpy Sweet Boy answered on 5/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree with the previous posters and only want to add that it is extremely important to time his insulin doses with his meals. If he is free feeding you may want to consider portioning his food for better glucose control.
I have also found that it is easier to use a NON-clumping litter with an excessively urinating cat... it is MUCH easier to clean!!!