Xander

My cat keeps eating my fake christmas tree

I put up my fake tree every year and every year he chews the green ends. I tried some stuff from pet supplies plus that cats aren't supposed to like the taste of but this does little to deter him. I just put the tree up yesterday and already found kitty throw up with the green peices in it. Basically it looked like a hairball of the fabric from my fake tree. I don't know how to get him to stop but I need some tips before he makes himself sick.

Asked by Xander on Dec 1st 2008 Tagged christmastree in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

This is a problem that I face as well, although my cats don't eat the tree, they just jump into it and around in it. Putting the tree in a baby's playpen is an idea but not real festive. And, to spray the whole tree with hot sauce is unreasonable and sometimes doesn't work. Try setting up another little tree with catnip mice and other cat toys. Maybe that will distract him from the main tree. Needless to say, if you have tinsel on your tree, take it off as that can be fatal if eaten. And, if you have any priceless ornaments, remove those as well.

Maxine

You might try lightly spraying it with undiluted white vinegar (goes without saying to keep the tree unplugged until it is dry) anywhere he tends to chew and on the base and pole. You won't be able to smell it after a while but your cat will still be able to and they don't like it. It won't hurt him if he eats it either-in case it doesn't work. It shouldn't bother any ornaments unless they are fragile paper or hand painted (test an inconspicuous spot if you arent sure).

Maxine answered on 12/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer