My cat is getting mean with age. Kitty menopause?

I've had my cat Peanut going on 4 years. She been soo mean lately! On the ground she's really sweet,& loving. But shy.... & i picked her up today, She started growling, i was think maybe it was because I was holding her wrong (Like a baby) So i held her over my shoulder, she growled louder... So, i sat down Thinking she was scared of heights & next thing I know she bit my arm multiple times (like really quick *bite*bite* ) & jumped scratching me.... Shes NEVER done this before... I always pick her up... but lately shes been a ass..Is it kitty menopause??? help.

Asked by Member 1118934 on Jul 4th 2012 Tagged mean, cat, four, bite, scratch, hiss in Health & Wellness

Answers

Batfink

My older female is like this, we adopted her when she was nine, and quickly noticed she does NOT want to sit on our laps and does NOT want to be carried.

Your kitty is an individual, maybe she doesnt want to be carried anymore and is just letting you know?All cats are different, my older male will happily lay in my arms like a newborn and purr like a motorbike.

Best to take her to the VET to make sure there is not something causing her pain in her abdomen though.

Batfink answered on 7/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

As Batfink said, it's best to take her to the vet to make sure she hasn't been injured or has a sore stomach or other body part. Cats actually do not go through menopause, and especially not as 4 years of age. If your cat is not spayed, that's all the more reason to take her to the vet's since unspayed females are at risk for the same "female" cancers and diseases as human women. Unspayed females also have raging hormones and can be very temperamental when in heat with " other things" on their minds. In the meantime, don't try to pick her up and caution anyone else not to try to cuddle her. If she comes up on your lap, pet her with one hand and then stop. But do at least call your vet to tell them about this sudden change in personality.