Inigo

My cat is getting mean. How can I stop it??

After the last question, I stopped gently flicking her on the nose (what I referred to as "thumping." Sorry that some of you thought I was actually hitting her!!! I would never do that) as a punishment. But even with ignoring her, and trying to distract her instead of attacking us, she's still going at it. I'm starting to get concerned.

Also, when my friends are over, they don't understand cats like I do, and when they're attacked, they attack back. So does my mom. I explained all of your comments and she said they make sense, but she gets tired and cranky and can't stop herself. What can I do?!?? I just want a sweet, loving kitty and it feels like they're sabbotaging all of my efforts. I'm really quite upset and don't know what to do.

Another thing, she really likes to get on tables and counters and I VERY strictly do not allow this. But I say "Down" and if she doesn't respond to that (usually she does) I push her off. What else can I do?!? I want a sweet cat!!! :'(

Asked by Inigo on Aug 13th 2008 Tagged biting, climbing, friends, people in Methods of Training

Answers

Gracie

Honey,

ask your mom: how would she expect you to act if she hit you all the times to get her way? You'd probably only learn to fear her. That's why your kitten is aggressive. She thinks she has to defend herself.

Kittens are kittens. They'll get on the counters and not understand why they're not supposed to. Don't push her off, just pick her up gently and put her down. Do it every time she gets up on the counter, and she might stop. At least while you're home.

One way to prevent her from sautering all over the furniture is to get her furniture just for her. Something like a cat tree (but that can get expensive) or a cat castle or nylon cubes (less expensive solution if you're not a grown up and therefore don't have a lot of money). If a cat has her own space, she's more likely to feel safe and be occupied with her own toys.

Gracie answered on 8/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

It sounds to me like your house is becoming a war zone, and unfortunately, Inigo is going to be a casualty. If your mom can't stop herself from attacking your cat, when you see that your mom is "tired and cranky", remove Inigo from the room or even from the house in a carrier. I would do the same thing when your friends are around. Get Inigo out of their sight since the obviously don't listen to you. You need to advocate for this cat or rehome her into a situation where she won't constantly be a bone of contention between someone, their parent and their friends. In other words, as the director of the animal welfare group I volunteered for used to say, you need to grow a set and put your foot down. You can't be nice about this anymore with anyone, including your mom. Your cat is going to pay the price.