my cat is 5yrs should i get another cat?

We have had "Juicy" for five yrs. I've been thinking about getting a 2nd cat.Will my 5yr. old be able to accept that?

Asked by Member 1146518 on Dec 24th 2012 Tagged introducingandcattoourfamilyweareseniorswayroldcat in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

George

That totaly depends on your kitty's personality. If she is friendly and not the anxious type I'm sure she would be capable of accepting a new friend. You would want to make sure that your new kitty is friendly with other cats and is a good fit agewise. Some cats are more tolerant of kittens than others, but at 5 years old I would imagine that a kitten would be fine it that is what you are looking for. Best of luck!

George answered on 12/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lilly

Go for it. I rescued a fem calico kitten 6 months ago and brought her home to a 7 yr old male. I did everything by the book. Kept her seperate bc she was feral and needed to get used to human sounds, etc. Introduced scents slowly, used a screen for them to check each other out and graduated to supervised interactions. Flash forward 6 months and there is no love lost lol. Basically the kitten is playful and doesn't mean harm but interactions escalate each one like this: Older cat walks by. Kitten gets into hunting posture and rushes. Older cat doesnt like being hunted and lashes out. Scuffle ensues until I say stop. It's harmless though. They roll around but never bite. I give them breaks apart from eachother but recently the kitten was diagnosed with hip degeneration and had to be confined. To my surprise the older adult seemed lost,depressed and confused where she went :) He enjoys having a companion. I think it's just an ego thing, trying to maintain Alpha status. I have no regrets!

Lilly answered on 12/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer