My cat has scabs... How can I get rid of them?

So my cat, 6 years old, has these scabs on the base of his tail. He doesn't have fleas, I check often, and he doesn't act different or as if he Is in pain. He can't scratch himself there, but he licks the area from time to time. He might be chewing the scabs or just grooming, but sometimes the skin there is raw and makes his fur hard because I think it may be a Little bit infected. we haven't taken him to the vet because we can't afford it, and I really wish I could. The scabs started on the back of his neck, then went from there. If you were to run your hand up his back you can feel the scabs. He does get acne but it has never been anywhere but the chin and ear area, so I don't think that is what it is. If you have an idea please tell me what it might be. Anything that can help my cat will help. Thank you. <3

Asked by Member 1103531 on Apr 1st 2012 Tagged scabs, cat, help, bleeding, yearsold in Health & Wellness

Answers

Cats can have a whole long list of skin issues and it's impossible for us to tell what your cat has without seeing him. The most obvious answer is fleas, ticks or other insect bites. Unfortunately, these things rarely go away on their own, the only get worse and make everyone miserable in the process. If you suspect it's infected, this is even worse as the infection can spread throughout his body and destroy his organs. You obviously have a cable/internet subscription, and not to be mean,but these are pretty expensive. If you call your vet and explain to them what's going on, they might be able to work out a payment plan for you.