My cat has pooped on our clothes 3 times Why?

We got our cat on Monday and it appeared he wasn't using his box. I thought I smelled something Tuesday evening but since I have a baby that poops a lot it's hard to tell if I was just smelling a diaper or not. However, he pooped on my son's coat that he left laying on the floor yesterday and today. Then I found he had pooped and peed in my tub of clean clothes that holds like undergarments and such. He is approximately 7 months old and this is his first home. He is an adopted cat and he's neutered. Please help

Asked by Member 1084125 on Jan 12th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

If you got your cat just 4 days ago, he is still in a period of adjustment. Does he know where his litter box is? Show him to be sure. Try putting more litter boxes around so there is always one close by. If he has not been to a vet yet, now is the time to establish yourself with one, even if you adopted from a humane organization that vetted him previously. He needs his own personal "go to guy" that will keep him healthy all his life. If he is in the habit of using clothing for his business, then you must keep it off the floor and put away in a closet with the door closed. Close bedroom doors so he does not begin to use beds. Make sure his litter box is kept VERY clean. He only needs a few inches of litter. Make sure you aren't filling the box with it. He should not be disturbed when using the box. Cats need complete privacy when pottying. And, if you are not feeding him the same food as the shelter did, he may not be able to control his pottying. Be patient and do get him to a vet.