My cat has not pooped for 5 days

She is an indoor cat, she does go outside but in a caged area, Sunday night she got outside the caged area some how and we could not find her for 6 hours. It is now
Friday and she has not pooped. She is eating normal and peeing normal. What can I do? Is it time to take her to her vet?? I am worried about her but I do not have a job and cannot afford a vet bill, but I think I may have to. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Asked by Lola on Sep 7th 2012 in Alternative Treatments

Answers

If she is not acting sick, like vomiting, hiding, sleeping all the time, etc., and if you don't think she was injured while out on her own, then you could try to give her a tablespoon full of canned pumpkin (NOT PIE MIX). But if there are any signs that she is not feeling well, you do need to call the vet. She could have eaten something outside or been injured in some way and need to be examined.

SnowPaws

Cats should poop every 3 days. If she is eating normal and drinking normal I would consider giving her something to get her to poop. I use an inexpensive laxative you can buy at a pet store or Walmart. You may want to try mineral oil which doesn't taste as good but does the trick. I know you don't have a job so I understand your hesitance to take him to the vet. Give the vets in your area a call. Some of them will see him and let you pay when you can. Others will give you a reduced rate. I wouldn't let it go past 6 days or if any other symptoms present. The reason I feel qualified to answer is that we recently went through something similar. Good luck! I pray he goes soon.

SnowPaws answered on 9/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer