My cat has gone crazy, what do i do?

I have two cats, both are female. One of my cats had three kittens, which are now around 10 weeks old. The other cat has usually been very affectionate with them, but last week one fell in the bath and she got a fright. She attacked their mother and even one of the kittens, so under vet instruction we locked the mother cat and her kittens in a room and left the crazy cat to roam the house. She seamed fine, but while I was patting her she randomly attacked my arm before I could pull it away. She then stalked me around the house growling and hissing and it became so bad that I had to hide with the other cats too. She slowly became better until we could have all of the cats together and it was fine, but that only lasted about a week. Today our blow up pool noisily spilled water everywhere, scaring her and the other cats (indoor cats) and she attacked mother cat again. Shes locked in a room and I don't know what to do. Please help ASAP. I'm scared to go near her in fear she'll attack.

Asked by Member 1081059 on Dec 31st 2011 Tagged crazy, violent, cat in Health & Wellness

Answers

First of all, the mother cat and her kittens need to be kept in a separate room so that they are safe from this "crazy" cat. You need to keep "crazy cat" maybe in a room by itself and see what happens. Call your vet again and ask for advice. Also, I hate to say it, but it seems like your household has hazards that are not safe for kittens. How would one of the cats fall in the bath tub? What is it with the blow up pool? If you have cats and kittens in your house, then you need to make sure it is safe. It's just like having a toddler! Please make your house "kitten and cat proof". If "crazy cat" doesn't get any better, I would surrender her to a local shelter. Finally, please get ALL of your cats spayed/neutered!

Quindim

The “crazy cat” is probably jealous of “mommy cat” and her kittens. Keep “mommy cat” and her kittens in a separate room, so they could be protected. Spay the “crazy cat” asap. Spay “mommy cat” as soon as the kitten is not nursed any more. Use “Feliway” in your house to help “crazy cat” get well. Be gentle and nice to “crazy cat”, she is just jealous and needing support! Enlarge your playtime with “crazy cat” so she can release her stress and focus in a nice behavior. Show “crazy cat” that she is loved and will not be replaced by giving her attention and care.

Kitten are totally cute, so “crazy cat” is feeling apart of the family and trying to get attention. Extra playtime could help a lot. :)

Good luck!

Quindim answered on 1/2/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

So this is going to sound strange, but I read this while researching for Animal Planet's My Cat from Hell, which I'm currently casting for, and I figured why not leave you a comment. If you haven't seen the show, the host and cat behavioralist expert is Jackson Galaxy. He's had a lot of success in the past, including a couple seasons of this show and has helped many a cat and cat guardian (as Jackson likes to say :) bring back the loving relationship. I'd love to hear from you. Thanks again and either way, I hope it all works out with your kitty!

If interested please send the following info to
HellCatsCasting@gmail.com

- Name, age, city, contact number
- Who you live with
- Tell us about your cat and how it’s affecting your life/relationship: Include your cat’s name, age, breed, where you got the cat and tell us, in detail, about your cat’s behavioral problems and why you (or yoor your family) are at your wits end Include pictures of yourself, your family members and of your cat!

Punkin Dreamboat  # 121a

I agree with both answers. I too wonder why there is a blow up pool inside. My cats have fallen in the tub with me before because they were walking along the edge and slipped in. I don't think you should lock up "crazy cat" because that is just more antagonization for her and adding insult to injury. You should consult with a behaviorist because usually there is a very simple fix for these issues. I would also say she is not adjusting well to the added stress the kittens are causing. I WOULD NOT surrender her to a shelter tho instead see if you can get the problem solved and get those cats fixed so they wont add to the overpopulation problem. If you can't fix the issue try to find a loving home with someone you trust or a friend of a friend

Punkin Dreamboat # 121a answered on 3/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer