Mac

My cat has diarrhea but no other symptoms

My 11 month old cat has diarrhea :(
2 Days Ago: Normal poop before breakfast, diarrhea in the noontime. No changes in food. By dinnertime, he had diarrhea (brown, liquid) over 5 times. For dinner (12 hours since last meal), he ate boiled chicken breast and plain low fat yogurt.
1 Day Ago: No bowel movements for the entire day since last night's dinner. Has been eating chicken with a tiny bit of yogurt.
Today: Chicken and small amount of usual canned/dry food mix. Still no bowel movements so for dinner he ate the usual canned/dry food mix but was given a smaller portion. An hour after he has a normal poop (yes!) but another hour after, he had a good amount of diarrhea.
During this entire time span, his behavior is normal. Normal play, sleep, meow, eating, drinking, peeing normally What should I do? I cannot afford vet tests one after the other at this time. He is up to date on everything medical related, is an indoor cat, and is watched from the moment I wake up to the moment I sleep.

Asked by Mac on Nov 9th 2012 Tagged diarrhea, symptom, cat, poop in Health & Wellness

Answers

Yesterday, I fed all 3 of my cats the same wet food. Within a half-hour, all three had explosive diarrhea. This is what makes me think that the food you're feeding him is the cause. If his behavior is completely normal, he's not lethargic, hiding, no real personality changes, it doesn't sound like he's ill. If it were me, I would not give him more than a teaspoon of that wet food, and if the diarrhea continues, at least call the vet to see if there is a wet food they recommend. Also, dairy products, such as yogurt, can exacerbate stomach upsets in cats, so although yogurt does have "good" bacteria, use with caution. A high fiber dry kitten food may also help as might a bit of cooked rice mixed with the chicken. At his age, he should still be on kitten formula foods. I know vets are expensive, but if the diarrhea continues for very long, you do need to at least call. Your kitty can become dehydrated and not receive the nutrition he needs. Good luck. We send purrs!