Oliver

My cat has been acting strange and jumpy

He is about 2 years old and for the past day has been acting very strange. He has been jumpy and his mannerisms are off. He is agitated and not as interested in things he normally is, like playing or treats. He has also been licking his chops a bit. I think he may have accidentally got into a little coffee? It could be something else, but that is all I can think of as I have checked the house for other things. Can coffee produce these symptoms in cats and should I be worried? Will he be okay?


Asked by Oliver on Jan 20th 2009 in Emergencies & First Aid
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Izadore (Izzie)

8 teaspoons of coffee for a 6 pound cat can produce signs of caffeine poisoning and without veterinary intervention, can be fatal. Among the signs of poisoning are hyperactivity, rapid heart and breathing and can even include bleeding. It depends on what you mean by "a little coffee". Do you think he may have ingested enough to poison him? In any case, we always suggest a call to your vet whenever there is a sudden serious change in your cat's behavior. Licking his chops can also be a sign of poisoning. If he was poisoned by something, your vet is the only one who can help him, and the sooner you get him there, the better are his chances of survival.


Izadore (Izzie) answered on 1/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer