My cat has a swollen arm, what should I do?

I think Blondie has been fighting, and everytime he come to eat, he comes back all scratch up. But this time he was sleep in out porch and he didn't move, I notice the arm. It was swollen and a bit of fluid was coming out the morning I came to school. I even notice his left eye is a bit swollen. What should I do? Do I take him to the Vet or wait until it heals?

Asked by Member 612362 on Mar 26th 2008 in Alternative Treatments

Best Answer

Tabby

Please take him to the VET immediately. Bite wounds are hard to find and almost always get infected and abscess if not properly treated within 24 hrs. If your pet is an outdoor cat, you may not witness the fight. Cat bites almost always become abscessed, causing the cat to become painful, lethargic, and often feverish. From what you have mentioned, looks like he might have an abcess. There is usually a tender swelling or an area your cat does not want touched. If you witness a cat fight, bring your cat in right away and an abscess may be prevented. Make a real effort to find out the status of the other pet’s rabies vaccines if there is a fight between pets.

This information was taken from www.gahpets.com

Good Luck Blondie. I hope you get better real soon.

Tabby answered on Mar 26th.

Answers

Bella-Marie

YOU NEED TO GOTO THE VETS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE , NEVER WAIT FOR IT TO HEAL YOU NEED TO BRING THE CAT TO BE SEEN THEN IF YOUR CAT IS NOT FIXED GET IT FIXED. IF YOU NEED HELP THE MSPCA HAS A PROGRAM CALLED SNAP WICH IF YOU QUALIFY IT WILL CUT THE COST IN HALF. THEN YOU SHOULD THINK OF KEEPING YOUR CAT INDOORS IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A FIGHTER ON YOUR HANDS. I HAD ONE LIKE THAT GROWING UP AS A YOUNG GIRL, SO DON'T WAIT AND TRY TO KEEP HIM IN THE HOUSE AFTER THAT.....

Bella-Marie answered on 3/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Morrison

Take him to the Vet. I had a swollen leg and oozing fluid. It turned out that I had a foxtail (weed) stuck in my leg and it abcessed and I had to have surgery to remove the foxtail and drain tubes put in. Very costly for my Mom!

Morrison answered on 3/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer