Kwazimoto

My cat has a strange bite mark...

Today my cat ran to me and meow'ed and complained but I couldn't understand what was wrong. Then I saw he had blood coming from his hind leg and saw there were to strange bite marks. I don't think it was a another cat that bit him, the two holes are rather big... but he doesn't mix with dogs either? What can it be? I'm afraid it can get infected, but my dad doesn't want to take him to a vet.

Asked by Kwazimoto on Jun 26th 2010 Tagged bite, marks, blood, infection, health in Health & Wellness

Answers

Digit Cat

In my experience, any wound left untreated will become infected. Maybe ask your dad to call a vet for advice? Perhaps they can convince him to take your cat in. I don't know how old you are, so I won't encourage you to argue with your dad but infections can become serious very quickly. You might want to call a vet yourself and explain your situation. I encourage you to keep a very close eye on the injury and continue to politely ask your dad to take your friend to the vet.

Digit Cat answered on 6/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have a few major concerns about your cat's bite: First, the risk of infection. Second, if your dad won't let you take the cat to a vet, I have to wonder if he's neutered and vaccinated for at least rabies. Finally, rabies would be a MAJOR CONCERN! If you don't know what bit your cat, I wouldn't mess around with this. Cats need to be vaccinated for rabies at age 12 weeks (in most states). No immunization is 100% effective, but you need to get your cat to a vet NOW!

Blaze

I agree that your cat needs to see a vet. My Blaze was bitten on her foot while playing with one of her sisters. I cleaned it up myself and thought she was doing well when it began to bleed again a couple of days later. I rushed her to the vet and it had become abcessed and the vet needed to give her antibiotics and clean up the wound. He said if she was bitten by anything other than one of my own cats, she would also need a rabies booster even though hers was up to date. Any time a pet is bitten by an unknown other animal it is very important to get him/her to the vet.

Blaze answered on 6/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer