My cat has a black discharge on his mouth

My recently rescued cat has a black discharge on his lower mouth.
It's glossy looking and althogh I haven't tried to wipe off, it looks like it will.

you can see the pictures from this link.

picasaweb.google.com

picasaweb.google.com

Asked by Member 876254 on Sep 13th 2009 Tagged mouthsore, blackmouth, blackdischarge in Illness & Disease

Answers

I noticed that your cat has black pigmentation of his lower lip, this is normal (think of it like people having freckles), but in the second picture it did appear there was some discharge. You should have him looked at by a vet, but I can tell you that often times this is a sign of a bad tooth or mouth infection- both of which would need to be treated by a veterinarian. If you are more curious about it, try lifting up or pulling back his lip, opening his mouth, or check for a foul odor from his mouth. Have you noticed a change in his eating? does he walk around with his mouth open? does he paw at his mouth or face alot? these may be things you will want to bring up to the vet. Good luck

I agree with Lucky. Its normal for a tuxedo cat like yours to have patches of black skin/gums in their mouth but the second picture looks like there is some kind of sore or discharge too which isn't normal. It could be feline acne which cats get as an allergy if they eat from plastic dishes - swap for glass dishes if you use plastic. Or it could be from a bad tooth or other sore/infection. Either way you should take him for a vet check to confirm what it is and see what treatment he needs.