Bailey

my cat doesnt want to go in the litter box! help

so i have 2 cats and when one of them has no problem going into the litterbox but the other one like hates it. when i first clean the boc she will go in it no problem but if there is just a little bit of poop in it them she refuses to go in it and when she does go it in she doesnt cover her leaving up she just immediately jumps out. she goes on the ground around the box but not in there... what should i do?

Asked by Bailey on Oct 29th 2009 Tagged litterbox in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Holley

She may have to have a seperate litter box from the other cat. She might not like smelling that the other cat has been in there. I know it sounds like a pain in the butt thing to have to do, but I've seen tons of people have to have 2 boxes for this very reason. Also, maybe she thinks there isn't enough privacy. You could try a covered box if you haven't already or just switching up the location. When she goes on the ground around the box, when you pick up what she's done, make sure you put it in the box first and make it a point to show her it's in the box. I had to do this with a kitten once to show him that the whole area around the litter box wasn't also his personal bathroom. Hope I helped.

Holley answered on 10/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with Holley. I have 3 cats and 4 litter boxes. The cats use them all. Imagine how you would feel if you went to the restroom and someone had already used it and not flushed. Gross, right? That' how your cat feels. Make sure the box is very, very clean and scooped at least once a day. if she uses it when it's clean, there is your answer. She's a fastidious cat who wants clean litter and no one else's "stuff" in there. Get another box and I'll bet your problems will be over.